Awareness of obesity-related health risks is high, but the perceived psychosocial consequences of being overweight effects millions of women of all ages today . A research study conducted at the College of Medicine, Pennsylvania State University suggested that approximately only 40% of moderately and severely overweight women considered their figures to be attractive or very attractive, which leaves an insecure 60% of women who don't like their body type.
Who's setting the standard? Adults in their 20s are retrieving information from television, magazines, and billboards. They too often become motivated by seeing fit celebrities from these sources. Young adults are also guided by celebrities and celebrity experts on what types of physical activities can be performed to achieve certain body types. Television and magazines display and set the bar for millions and billions of women across America and oversees. Increasingly, it is a guide for many on how an attractive woman's body should look. More and more the projected woman's body image will continue to influence it's self on many young women.